I’m penwing or Alex. I live in Warrington UK. I talk a lot about UK Politics, Queer things and general Geek things. I talk about books I read (mostly scifi and fantasy and queer), shows and movies (sci-fi, fantasy, queer, animation puppets) TTRPGs and boardgames I play, theatre and baking and cooking.
I stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the Oxford Comma.
I’m also practising at being a Feminist Killjoy – in a “I need to get better at this” kind of way.
You may have come to the conclusion I’m queer. I’m non-binary and (generally) attracted to guys and non-binary folks. “Gay” is a shorthand when I can’t be arsed explaining all that, but queer is what I have settled on over many years.
I use they/them pronouns, although was surprisingly happy with how well e/er/eir worked on page – but dread trying to ask IRL people to use them…
- Victor Hugo – Les Miserables, Notre Dame de Paris
- Arthur Ransome – Swallows and Amazons
TV and Film
- Babylon 5
- Orphan Black
- But I’m a Cheerleader
- Dark Crystal Age of Resistance
- The Haunting of Hill House
- Battlestar Galactica Boardgame
- Betrayal at House on the Hill
- Mervyn Peake – Gormenghast
- Ursula le Guin – Earthsea, the Hainish Cycle
- Robin Hobb – Realm of the Elderlings
- Samuel R Delaney – Dhalgren, Neveryon
- Samuel J Miller – Blackfish City, The Blade Beneath, Kid Wolf and Kraken Boy
- Becky Chambers – The Wayfarer Series, Monk and Robot
- Ada Palmer – Terra Ignota series
- RB Lenberg – The Unbalancing, the Four Profound Weaves, Birdverse
- NK Jemisin – The